Sunday, May 16, 2010

cancer smelling dogs

So a woman calls last week and says, "I know this sounds wierd but I need a mammogram. I've heard dogs can smell cancer and my dogs have been smelling my breasts so I really need to get one."

But then told me she was going to be out of town for the month and would have to wait until she got back to schedule it. (She was really wanting one that day. Too bad I don't work at the medical drive-through ordering service.)

Still waiting to get the results back on that one. I couldn't make this stuff up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

saw a documentary once where epilepsy patients were given trained dogs. the canines could sense when a patient was in the initial stages of an attack and could get help. also, some owners reported that their pets were showing signs of stress just moments before the owners suffered a stroke. so, don't know what's the story with these cancer detecting pooches. hope the woman returns for timely detection and treatment. how can one travel right in the middle of a health scare? human spirit, wot?

KS said...

My dog's littermate did the same thing - kept sniffing/poking at her owner's breast so the woman went in and sure enough...breast cancer. Crazier things have happened, right?

sally said...

well, that's interesting...but i believe that dogs or any other pet have some kind of sixth sense and could "tell" if something wrong is going to happen. It's my first time though to hear that dogs can smell cancer...